I was first licensed in 2006 as a technician with the call sign KC9KIQ. After upgrading to my general in 2009 and my extra in 2010, I changed my call sign to NV9L.
In the early days, my daughter KC9KIR and I belonged to the Kenosha County ARES group in Wisconsin. I was also very active with the Milwaukee local repeater clubs along with the technical group; Miller Valley Radio Club. I discovered HF in 2011 and currently have worked 322 DX entities and over 2,000 band countries. I also discovered contesting in the fall of 2011. Because of contesting, I met my husband WB9Z. I stumbled on to his frequency during CQ WW SSB. He was operating 10 meters only high power, while I was 10 meters only low power. the rest, as they say, is history.
Even though I’m considered a “newbie” in amateur radio years, I have been very active in the last 12 years.
- I have been a volunteer pilot or lead pilot for 4 major DXpeditions: Wake Island K1W, Swains NH8S, Amsterdam Island FT8ZM, and the attempted Bouvet Island 3Y0Z.
- I volunteer as a co-host on the show Ham Nation; which can be seen live every Wednesday night on Twit.tv.
- I create “How-To” videos for the amateur community. These can be found on my YouTube channel.
- I am the treasurer/board member for the Society of Midwest Contesters.
- I regularly (about 3 p/month) give presentations in person or via Skype to Radio clubs all over the country.
- I am the prize chairman for the SMC-fest and W9DXCC.
In 2017, I got bit by the public service bug once again when my son and I rescued small animals from the flooding in Beaumont, TX from hurricane Harvey. Within a few weeks of that adventure, I was selected to be a part of the “Force of 50” that provided emergency communications in Puerto Rico after the devastation left behind in hurricane Maria’s wake. I was honored to be selected as this year’s “Amateur of the Year” at Dayton’s Hamvention.
I have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with a minor in Computer Science. I am currently the controller for a 16-company conglomerate (manufacturing, trucking, steel processing, 22 retail stores, real estate management, and more) with an annual revenue of $60 million and 300+ employees. I am one of 6 in upper senior management. My success in business can be attributed to being a very motivated, fair, goal-driven, fiscally responsible, forward-thinking leader. Prior to this, I was a managerial accountant for other manufacturers; sailboat, cookie & video game manufacturers. Prior to that, I owned a successful insurance agency and finance company for just over 10 years in the Chicago area.
I am a current member of:
- The Metro DX Club
- The Central Illinois DX & Contest Association
- The Kankakee Area Radio Society
- International DX Association
- Northern Illinois DX Association
- Greater Milwaukee DX Association
- Northern California DX Association
- ARRL Life and Maxim member
- The Radio Club of America
- The Society of Midwest Contesters
- Iroquois County Amateur Radio Club